Scrappy Barrow pay penalty in Latics defeat.

Barrow AFC 3-4 Oldham Athletic

A sub-par performance saw the Bluebirds suffer their first home defeat of the season at the hands of Oldham Athletic, with individual errors again costing David Dunn’s side dear.

Things started brightly for the home side, when Scott Quigley bagged his first league goal of the campaign after 16 minutes. Bringing down a long ball 25-yards from goal, the striker held off the attentions of two defenders, before turning towards goal and placing a guided finish into the far bottom corner of the net.

The goal gave Barrow impetus to take control of what was a scrappy game and Quigley drew a save from Ian Lawler when he let fly from 30 yards, but the hosts couldn’t maintain their period of dominance and some sloppy passing allowed Oldham back into the game.

Barrow goalkeeper Joel Dixon to thank for keeping them ahead when he got the slightest of touches on a Bobby Grant strike to divert it onto the post and then reacted quickly to smother the ball after as it rolled precariously along the goalline after it had clattered against the inside of both posts.

The Latics were now on top, though, and drew level through Ben Garrity’s strike from the right of the penalty area, lashing the ball into the far side of the goal after Grant’s ball across the area found it’s way through the ranks of the Barrow defence, in the 39th minute.

Ex-Fylde talisman, Danny Rowe, then completed the turnaround with the last attack of the half, heading in a corner at the near post after he was allowed to attack the ball with a glancing header.

The start of the second half saw Barrow improve slightly and could have been level when Matt Platt rose highest to meet a corner, but Luke James could only redirect the ball into the arms of Lawler.

Things were made harder for the Bluebirds when key man Brad Barry was forced off injured following an exchange of poorly-timed tackles and yellow cards between both teams as Barrow’s frustrations grew.

Dunn’s men started to enjoy some extended periods of possession when Oldham dropped off to preserve their lead and Josh Kay almost made them pay by zipping a low ball across the face of goal that was begging for a finishing touch that never came, before Lawler made a smart stop to keep out Dior Angus’ near-post header from another cross, this time from Quigley.

Barrow were coming closer to an equaliser and it came courtesy of Matt Platt, who pounced at the back post to turn in a wicked delivery from a corner, but parity wasn’t to last long. Moments after the restart the dangerous Dylan Bahamboula was clumsily fouled in the area by Yoan Zouma, giving Rowe the chance to double his tally for the night and restore Oldham’s lead.

The game was all but ended in the fifth minute of injury time with Barrow throwing men forward, Oldham hit Barrow on the counter-attack as Patrick Brough misjudged the flight of the ball, allowing Rowe in behind on the right hand side, cutting the ball back to Conor McAleny who finished past Dixon.

There was still time for Carl Piergianni to bundle the ball into his own net with the last kick of the game, which only served as a consolation goal for a lacklustre Bluebirds.

Barrow AFC (3-4-2-1): Dixon; Zouma, Platt, Brough; Barry (Kay 61), J.Taylor (C.Taylor), M.Jones, Brown; Biggins (Angus 72), James; Quigley. Subs not used: Lillis, Wilson, Reid.

Oldham Athletic (4-3-3): Lawler; Fage, Diarra, Piergianni, Borthwick-Jackson; Garrity, Jombati, Keillor-Dunn (McAleny 75); Bahamboula (Barnett 84), Grant (Blackwood 90), Rowe. Subs not used: Bilboe, Whelan, McCalmont, Hamer.

Written By
Andrew Steel

Andrew Steel

Barrow AFC Correspondent

Share this article

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Latest Articles

Scroll to Top