Bluebirds down Port Vale to provide festive cheer.

Port Vale 0-2 Barrow AFC

Goals from Scott Quigley and Patrick Brough downed Port Vale to give Barrow a second successive win with new manager Michael Jolley watching on at Vale Park.

While Jolley took on a watching brief from the stands, continuing assistant manager, Rob Kelly, named an unchanged line-up from Barrow’s convincing 3-0 win over Cheltenham Town last week but, despite the lack of changes, it took the Bluebirds most of the first half to get going.

The home side were on top for most of the first part of the opening half, with Barrow regularly wasting possession and inviting Port Vale onto them on an all too regular basis, with Devante Rodney shooting wide with one effort.

Despite The Valiants’ dominance, they failed to work Joel Dixon in the Barrow goal and they duly paid the price for their lack of creativity when Quigley fired Barrow in front. Josh Kay pounced on a loose pass from the home side’s defence, and fed the ball through to Quigley. The Barrow striker still had a lot to do and showed great strength to hold off the attentions of a defender before stroking the ball across the keeper and into the far bottom corner.

The goal gave the Bluebirds a new found confidence and they began to see more of the ball and create the better chances. Josh Kay’s free-kick from wide was met by the head of Matt Platt, who couldn’t direct his header on target before Quigley fired high from distance.

Platt had another chance to double the Bluebirds’ lead with the last kick of the half, when the ball found its way through to the centre-half at the back post, but his volley flew off target.

Port Vale started the first half keen to make amends for the lack of chances in the first half and substitute David Amoo threatened with a dangerous ball that flashed across the Barrow goal.

The Bluebirds hit back, though, and extended their advantage with their first shot of the half. Quigley did well to fin Harrison Biggins in the penalty area, whose square ball across goal was converted by Patrick Brough, arriving undetected in the centre of the goal.

It could have been 3-0 soon after, when a precise through ball from Kay released Quigley, but the striker’s effort was well saved by Scott Brown. Brown was beaten by Kay’s own curling strike soon after, but was relieved to see the ball fly just the wrong side of the post.

Vale pushed in search of a way back into the game but found Barrow’s defence tough to break down, frustrating the Vale attack as the Bluebirds closed out the game for a second win and clean sheet in as many games.

Port Vale (4-3-3): Brown; Mills, Crookes, Smith, Fitzpatrick; Burgess, Joyce, Whitehead (Amoo 46); Rodney, Pope, Hurst (Robinson 61). Subs not used: Legge, Brisley, McKirdy, Bailey, Visser.

Barrow (3-5-2): Dixon; Hird, Platt, Brough; Brown, C.Taylor, Biggins (J.Taylor 84), Beadling, Kay (Wilson 90); James, Quigley. Subs not used: Lillis, J.Jone, Reid, Angus.

Written By
Andrew Steel

Andrew Steel

Barrow AFC Correspondent

Share this article

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Latest Articles

Scroll to Top